Wednesday, January 16, 2013

A New Year

It is January and a new year has begun. I hope it will be a safe, prosperous and healthy year for all!




I am enjoying the spring-time weather we are having although I know it won't last. I do like to wrap up in layers or burrow under quilts when the temps are much cooler. Of course it doesn't get that cold in the south for very long!

While enjoying the house open to the breezes in this warm weather, I bundled pine needles from three boxes I had tucked aside and I had collected a good while back. I don't wash my needles unless they look particularly dirty. I assume nature has already taken care of that. I have never had problems with insects but have some needles with spots due to the work of fungus that had begun to break the needles down while on the ground. Keeping the needles dry will prevent further fungal growth. A basket made with these needles will hold up fine and the spots add some character to the needles, too! I do break off or dispose of needles that are too far gone or too fragile due to damage.

I often dry my needles in the attic in the summertime. They dry very fast and thoroughly there! The sun will do a good job, too, with the needles spread out on a sheet in the yard. The sun helps turn green needles brown. Never bundle fresh (green) needles because the moisture in them will cause the needles to mildew. Always keep needles in a dry place ... cardboard box, plastic sweater box, etc. And dried green needles will eventually turn brown when exposed to sunlight, either direct or indirect. So when a basket has variations of color due to both brown and green needles, eventually the greens will fade to browns. The only way to get the greens to stay or any color to be added at all is to dye the needles before coiling.

I am making a new basket now for an auction. I do this every year for several community groups. I am finding my creativity comes and goes. I just trust that the basket will take on its own character and my hands will follow its lead. That's part of the fascination of basket making!







No comments:

Post a Comment